I have been wanting to sew my own dress forever and ever. I have been collecting quite a number of patterns, vintage patterns from fleamarkets, new patterns from stores, I even got a girl from the USA to raid a few sales to swap some patterns from Simplicity etc in exchange for crocheted skull squares.
Two years ago I actually made three mock dresses from muslin, but I had lost quite a bit of weight and still didn't really knew what looked good on me and what didn't. Plus retrospectively I probably should have used different sizes for the top and for the bottom since I actually still had hips.
Well, so it probably is a good thing I gained some
weight and I know what suits me well and what doesn't. I chose Simplicity 3774
and view C as my first real dress. It accents the waist and bust which I think suits me well. I made a mock dress out of muslin first too and thought everything was alright...
So I cut out the pattern pieces from some navy fabric with white hearts and began sewing. I didn't wanted to line the dress top part as I think it is unnecessary with this type of fabric and dress style. Instead I used bias tape around the neck opening and armholes (Must remember to buy unpressed bias tape next time).
Lastly before hemming I inserted the zipper in the back of the dress. I put the dress on and it looked lovely on the front...but the back gaped at the top! We are not talking about a bit of gaping, oh no, it was 8cm of excess fabric!!! I measured up the pattern pieces and the dress later. It seems like the back top part broadens at the top by 4cm. Why is beyond me. The reviews I read didn't mentioned this problem, so maybe I am odder shaped then I ever though *lol*
Anyway, I just
undid the zipper, cut away some fabric and reinserted it. Almost perfect, except for the transition between waist and hips. It rode a bit up when worn, because my hips are a tad bit wider and my waist line is a smidge above the one indicated in the pattern. I tried to remedy this by undoing the side seems and using some of the seam allowance to widen this part. Looks a bit better now, but I will have to remember to add atleast 1 cm to each side seem for the next dress.
And now here is a bad photo of the dress. Hopefully next time I wear it I can get someone to take my picture and show you a better one then this shapeless one.