Thursday, April 14, 2005

Sturd is finished!!!

I finally finished Sturd the weaver just minutes ago. This purse is really a lot more sturdy than plain stockinette. I tested it with some 2mm needles and they didn't poked out!
I had some trouble with my handles cause I painted them only realizing afterwards that the color doesn't want to stay on the handles. So I had to sand the handles which took quite some time.
I'll be posting the pattern later, cause I'm still trying to get a good close-up so you can see the stitch pattern.

EDIT:

sturd


Materials:
400g yarn; 200g light blue + 200g light beige. I used 4 balls of “Highland” from Schewe which you can get at Karstadt if your living in Germany ;-)
Highland is a 75% acrylic and 25% wool yarn. 183m/50g recommended needle size is 2,5-3,5mm
You can use any yarn you want to, but then you’ll maybe have to recalculate the number of stitches and rows. Of course you can also knit with just one colour, but I like the effect that is created when holding two different colour strand together.
7mm needles
handles

weaving pattern:
Row 1: *K1, yarn to front, slip 1 purlwise, yarn to back* repeat from * until end
Row 2: *P1, yarn to back, slip 1 purlwise, yarn to front* repeat from * until end

Instructions:

Front/Back:

Cast on 44 stitches.
Work 68 rows in weaving pattern
Bind off.(see below)

Bottom and sides:

Cast on 8 stitches
Work 204 rows in pattern.
Bind off.(see below)

Sewing:

Sew the three pieces together. I myself hate sewing. Here’s how I sewed it together:
While knitting I knit the first and last stitch of every row. This creates some bumps on the sides of the knitted pieces.
Now when pinning the pieces together, I looked to match the bumps and pinned the bottom corners together. Than I used mattress stitch for sewing.

Handle:

I just wrapped the yarn around my handle and inserted the needle into the bind-of row.

Bind off:
I didn’t bind off in pattern cause the result wasn’t even. But after sewing I realized that this could have been regulated by crocheting around the top. Why binding off in pattern is better?
When you attach the handles the bind off will be “lifted” revealing the last row. If you didn’t bind off in pattern(let’s say you bond off in knit like me) than this will look different then the rest of the bag. I don’t mind my top part, but if you’re a perfectionist, try binding off in pattern.


pdf-file of this pattern

© Janin Den. This pattern may be freely distributed as long as the pattern and this copyright
notice remain intact and no profit is made from its distribution or use.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I really like that!

I'll have to check out the pattern. :)

6:58 PM, April 14, 2005  
Blogger Danielle said...

I love it! It looks so sturdy and pretty at the same time. I'm saving the pattern for when I have time to knit it. :)

9:23 PM, April 14, 2005  
Blogger Donna said...

It is lovely!

2:03 PM, April 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Germany
Mail me
My Wist list!
30 things about me
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called knitlady. Make your own badge here.



Powered by Blogger