Friday, October 06, 2006

Ugh! +dyed yarn

Yesterday I decided I should finish my current cross stitch project to make room for the very challenging one I got. So, I took it out of the box I had stuffed all my cross stitch supplies in last week to protect them. As I finally had sorted out which of the many threads actually was light brown(it was night and there really isn't much difference between the browns there) and began to do some half-cross stitches, I saw some movement on the fabric...I looked directly and found "something"! That little something was tinier than a pin's head and white/translucent! A freaking bug-thingy! Got a tissue and removed it into the toilette, but where there is one, there will probably be a bunch more, right? And what exactly was that anyway? OMG, don't tell me it eats fabric!!!
So this morning with more light I opened the box again(it spend the night outside on the balcony ;-) ) and carefully examined everything one by one. I have found this:

Now, I got this in a swap awhile ago and since there are no bugs around it, it could very well have been like that before. When I had emptied the box without a trillion things swarming out of it, I was a bit relieved. Nevertheless on the bottom site, there was indeed a dead tiny something, though admitedly it could just have been fluff:

Well, let's just say that most of my cross stitch supplies are now in the freezer for atleast 24 hours and the box is beeing washed with VERY hot water ;-)

Btw. Do moth balls really work? This little episode reminded me about my wool stash which is not very protected right now...

Anyway, my first ashford dyed yarn is dry. Here's a pic of the hank before winding it:

The colors are a tad bit greyish, but I read on the ashord page that that can happen when mixing some of their colors. Which does sound a bit absurd especially as this was a set of primary colors that are made so you CAN mix every other color?!! Did I get something wrong? Anyway, it can also be partly due to the yarn which is some mystery mix of mohair and ???(the purple is a bit more saturated in the yarn I dyed today). I've already knit two lace shawls out of it, but gifted both to SPs. I still have about 550-600m left-over now for a scarf for me.
Which makes me point out that I really really need a ball winder! Winding 550+m only with the help of my swift is a pain in the a**! It has to go on the christmas wish list though since my student aid still has not arrived(also no sign of the approval letter for it, but atleast not another letter asking for form XYZ or sickness allowance record of my great-grandmothers dog from 2004) and even if I get it I will put it away for the newly established tuition fees due next semester...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Becka said...

Sorry about the bug! I don't know what is good for protecting wool, but, I like you, need to find out! Mine isn't protected, either!
I don't really know anything about dyeing, sorry. The colors look nice, though.

9:25 PM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Becka said...

Hey Girl, I see you did the Top 50 knitting site thing, too...it is way cool, don't you think?!

8:26 PM, October 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Germany
Mail me
My Wist list!
30 things about me
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called knitlady. Make your own badge here.



Powered by Blogger