Tuesday, October 03, 2006

All about socks

This month, with Socktoberfest and the Sam2 it will be all about socks. Not that I have any drive to knit something else at the moment. It's horrible if you don't know what to knit next, atleast for me, but socks always fit ;-)
At the moment I'm knitting my first real pair of Jaywalkers. I made an attempt before but when I had finished the first sock I realized it was much too tight to wear comfortable~if there's anyone out there who wants the one sock(I'm a Eu size 40 and it's a 38/39 I would guess) and the remaining sock yarn, just wave my way. But I would only encourage other smokers to do so since it both has been laying around my room in the open. ~
This time I made the smaller size from the pattern and though it's a bit loose, it's ok. Next socks will be the snowflake one.


Lolly asked a few questions to help beginner sock knitters and to fill this post up a bit, I thought I answer them:
When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
-Hmmm...wait, I'll check the blog archive...ah, I finished my first pair of socks at the end of september 2005. I taught myself with the help of this wonderfull tutorial.
What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
You can see my first pair here. As you probably can see they were a bit fuzzy to begin with and since then the heel has felted ever so slightly. They also were a bit too big and don't get worn so often anymore.
What would you have done differently?
I should have used better sock yarn, a nicer color and less stitches(a gauge check too).
What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Lorna's Lace's!!! It's so much softer than regular sock yarn. Though I can't say how well they hold up since I hadn't had the time/weather to wear them much yet.
Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I knit them on DPNs, really once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard. I must say though that socks weren't my first DPNs projects. I made some hats with thicker yarn before.
Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I mostly do short-row heels now, but for some patterned socks I prefer the flap heel.
How many pairs have you made?
I have no idea, honestly. More than 15 I think, but how many more I can't tell.

Yesterday my aunt visited and I got a bunch more presents:

There's 1kg of pure undyed lambs wool, that is sooo soft. Unfortunately it's divided in 50g hanks, I thought it would be 100g hanks.
There's also a test package of silk hankies! I got quite intrigued by them from the Knitty article and a blog(can't remember which one it was, but she dyed and spined them). When I read that there's a german store selling them, they went directly on the birthday wishlist.
You can also see the most beautifull bag handle I've ever seen, this is the third present from my parents. Now I only have to come up with a suitable bag pattern!
Also in the package from my aunt was something that made me wear this on today's morning(blue touch added to mask the fact that I hadn't showered yet ;-)) :

Yes, I got some Ashford dyes which I had to test this morning. I'll post the result later, it's still drying. And thanks to my dad for storing(aka hoarding) everything you will ever need to build your own house(current number drill machines: 4; nails: uncountable!).

Also yesterday I found a surprise package in the mail, I opened it and discovered these beads:

I LOVE them! I guess it's about time I make my own necklace! Who was the generous donor? Phizzichicks from craftster, who also send me the wonderfull hairpins and brooches earlier!

Therefore after dyeing the yarn, I headed into town to the craft store to buy some jewelry thread stuff. In the end I came out of the store with this:

What is missing? Yes, the jewelry thread thing(that probably even has a real name...). I should NOT enter this store anymore. I always buy something...

And when I came back home, I found a big letter. It included this:

Thank you very much J.S!!! Sorry, if this is a dumb question and I'm missing something, but who are you? With all those forum/blog names I mostly don't really notice people's real names much(for those scratching their heads for what mine is: Janin:-)).
EDIT: Duh, am I slow sometimes! Can it be that it was jesintexas from craftster, who was organizing the birthday swap?

I don't know if you've seen it, but lately there has been much talk about copyrights etc. in various blogs. I'm not a lawer, so maybe some of my views are totally wrong, but I find most of these discussions just hilarious/absurd. Why? Because in some cases it's about designs that probably have been floating around for quite some time and the one screaming "you copied me" was not the first one to design XYZ. Even funnier(and kind of ironically sad) was the one who made some indie designer very unhappy because she claimed said designer copied her(which she didn't!) and a couple of weeks later seems to be copying the designer herself(quite clearly on that one)! Don't get me wrong, I don't think that someone in general should break copyrights, that's really not acceptable(for that reason I will never ever buy something from NOANOA, not that I could afford that anyway at the moment). But there are things out there, that I think are hard to copyright especially if they are really basic!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so with you on that whole copyright thing. How do they decide whether you've violated it or not when you take bits and pieces of some patterns and add in your own stuff or do it in your own way. I do a fair number of socks with lace. Would I be violating copyright law if I were to publish what I consider to be my pattern? Ach! Who knows. That's probably why I never post up my patterns, even ones I really really love.

5:32 PM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're not going to frog the 1st Jaywalker and use the yarn?

If you seriously want to get rid of it I'd be happy to take it. I'm a Eu 36/37 but I could make it a bit shorter. And I could probably find you a little something to swap.

But really, I think you should frog it and knit something else. :)

7:55 AM, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

I'm with you on the copyright issue - But to accuse someone of copying you and then to threaten them, harass them, and then COPY THEM ON PURPOSE - well, that's just the lowest of the low - And it just goes to show that maybe the accuser isn't as talented as they thought. and I think I speak from experience on that.

12:56 PM, October 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Germany
Mail me
My Wist list!
30 things about me
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called knitlady. Make your own badge here.



Powered by Blogger