Thursday, May 17, 2007

Soldier?!!!

My brother went to his physical examination for joining the army yesterday and he passed it. He really wants to join the army...I still can't believe it. As a bit of background there's a compulsory military service in Germany for all men for 9 months total. You can chose to do alternative civilian service instead(just a bit of paperwork involved).
But my brother doesn't just want to do the 9 months, he wants to really join the army for 8+ years! I don't know how to react to it, cause I can't understand why anybody would want to join. Sure, it's his life and if he thinks that's what he wants it's fine I suppose, but I can't shake the feeling that he doesn't really know what that might mean. I guess for me, he's still my little, sometimes a bit weird brother.
Plus with the latest news involving the german army and racism it's a bit worrying to say the least.
My father thinks it's great that he's joining. My mum I guess is still kind of in denial, she has the same issues with it than I have, but since she always said that whatever we chose to do with our life she would accept it and support us, bites her tongue at the moment.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, thanks for commenting on my blog.

As a military wife I can give you any number of reasons why people join the military. One big one is economic stability - a steady job for 8 years, that's pretty good (I think in Germany and the U.S.). And second, there is still a sense of pride to it, I think. And joining doesn't always mean fighting in combat (though it is, of course, a possibility). Stay strong for him and he will be fine.

Becky
http://westerlywhimsies.wordpress.com (I moved my blog from Blogger)

7:44 PM, May 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Germany
Mail me
My Wist list!
30 things about me
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called knitlady. Make your own badge here.



Powered by Blogger